Vision Boards and Treasure Maps have come a long way since we cut out photos and pasted them on paper or poster board. We can now create them electronically and add them to our phone, tablet, or computer desktop, as well as print them out at home on 8.5″x11″ paper, or getting them printed out poster size to put on your wall.
Check out the video below first where Sydney talks about the parts that make up a Vision Board or Treasure Map. She talks about how to create one using a free online tool called Canva.com and PixaBay.com for free images. Below the video are the steps to create your Vision Board or Treasure Map using Canva.com
- Go to Canva.com and create a free account.
- Create your Vision Board or Treasure Map template: Log into your Canva account and under Create a Design scroll until you see a Letterhead template, then click on that and a new window opens up with a blank 8.5″x11″ page. (See instructions below to create and print a 16″x20″ poster from your local Walgreens or CVS).
- Add a photo Grid: Look on the far left and you will see an icon labeled Elements. Click on that and you will see a category called Grids. Click on All and you will now see different layouts for different numbers of photos. Pick one that fits and click on it and it will appear on your blank 8.5″x11″ page.
- Add photos: You can upload your own photos by looking on the left-hand side and clicking Uploads, then clicking on the blue Upload an Image button. If you don’t have a photo try searching on Pixabay.com, a free image website, and searching for an image to download to your computer, then upload it to your Canva vision board. Try and pick the smallest size image for your download as you will be fitting 6 or more images onto your vision board/treasure map. If you can’t find a photo from these sources find a magazine and take a photo of the item you want to add or take a photo of what you want, say from a store or car dealership or…
- Upload and place your photos: In Canva upload your photos. Next drag one of your photos to one of the photo grid spaces and the photo should auto adjust to the size of the grid. You can reposition the photo by clicking the crop tool.
- Add your text: Click the Text icon on the left hand side of your Canva window and click on one of the text choices, then move the text to where you want it on your photo grid. You have lots of different font choices and sizes so have fun with it. Add a title at the top of the Canva window where it says Letterhead – Untitled.
- Save your work.
Printing a paper copy: To print out an 8.5″x11″ page click Download and select pdf and save it to your desktop and then print.
Adding your Vision Board or Treasure Map to your phone, tablet or computer desktop: you will need to download the Canva app from the App Store for iPhones and Apple Tablets, or from the Play Store for Android phones. Once downloaded, log in to your canva account and download your Vision Board or Treasure Map as a jpg or png and it will be saved to your photos. Once you have downloaded your Vision Board or Treasure Map to your mobile device follow your mobile device’s instructions to add it as your Wallpaper and you are done.
Creating a 16″x20″ Poster:
- Log into your Canva account and Under Create a Design on the far right you will see Custom Dimensions. Click on that on the drop-down menu that shows px, select in then enter 16″ x 20″ or 20″ x 16″, then click create new design and your blank poster size template will appear. All the remaining steps to create your Vision Board or Treasure Map and download it to your computer are the same except you need to save your poster as a png or jpg. I recommend png as the quality is a bit better.
- Printing your poster: Walgreens and CVS both have an online photo area on their website. Make sure you have a Walgreens or CVS account setup, it’s free. Log into your Walgreens or CVS account and go to the photo area and follow the steps to upload your poster and place your order. Both Walgreens and CVS run 40-50% off specials all the time so you might want to wait until they have a photo special. They always send me an email when there are photo specials.
Article created by: Linda Patrick